Tuesday, September 16, 2008





THE GRAPEFRUIT DIET IS ALIVE AND WELL AND WORKS...


I don't know about you folks, but I carry a bit of middle age weight that is difficult to get rid of. I was listening to a talkback radio program just last night, and a caller there praised the virtues of the humble grapefruit. It brought back memories of a popular diet of a quarter of a century ago - the grapefruit diet. So off to Google I went!

A new study by Nutrition and Metabolic Research Centre researchers at Scripps Clinic has confirmed that a simple act of adding grapefruit to your diet can result in real weight loss.

The grapefruit diet is not a myth. No, it is actually something an older generation knew 25 years or so ago. Grapefruit has a high fibre content and low glycemic load, and is a not so secret weight loss weapon. I didn't have a weight problem back then; I was a smoker and that was responsible for controlling my weight. Since then I have successfully given up smoking...and suffered the major side affect of giving up smoking - weight gain. Its all to do with a change in your metabolism.

The advice given last night has me seriously considering adding grapefruit to my diet - basically eating half a grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice with every meal.It apparently takes a couple of weeks before weight loss becomes evident.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As the guy above said