Showing posts with label queensland. Show all posts
Showing posts with label queensland. Show all posts

Thursday, February 03, 2011


Premier of Queensland Anna Bligh at Labour Day...Image via Wikipedia
Dark clouds descend  on Queensland - Cyclone Yasi comes to town...




Yasi and Katrina compared:
Fierce winds and driving rains brought by the most powerful storm ever to hit Queensland are lashing northern coastal areas of the Australian state.

With winds reaching up to 290km/h (181mph), Cyclone Yasi is ripping roofs off buildings and has cut power to at least 100,000 people.

The storm struck south of Cairns and is moving inland, with forecasters warning of severe damage and likely deaths.

Queensland's premier has warned of devastation on an unprecedented scale.

'Destroyed'
The town of Tully, close to where the cyclone hit land, is a "scene of mass devastation", resident Ross Sorbello told the Sydney Morning Herald.

Mr Sorbello, who briefly went outside as the eye of the storm passed over, said roofs were ripped from houses, electricity poles were down and the streets were covered with debris.

Tully resident Stephanie Grimaz said that houses in her street had been torn apart, the Queensland Times reported.

"The flat from across the street is in our front yard and we can see other houses which have just been destroyed," she said.

Nick Bryant
BBC News, Sydney
Queenslanders are being told to brace for the most catastrophic storm ever to hit their shores. State Premier Anna Bligh said she did not think Australia had ever seen a storm of this intensity in an area as thickly populated.

She predicted it would be a very frightening time, with 24 hours of terrifying winds, torrential rains, and the likely loss of electricity and mobile phones.

Meteorologists upgraded Cyclone Yasi to a category five storm. With winds of almost 300km/h (186mph), they are warning it poses an extremely serious threat to life and property, especially around the cities of Cairns and Townsville.

Other residents of Tully described tree tops being shredded by winds that roared like jet engines, and water being forced under doors by the pressure.

The nearby communities of Mission Beach and Innisfail are also believed to be badly affected.

Officials say the full extent of the damage will not be known until daybreak.

More than 10,000 people are in evacuation centres, which became so overcrowded that people were turned away.

Yasi was classed as a category five cyclone as it crossed the coast - the highest grade in the scale used to measure such storms. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology later downgraded the storm to category four and then to category three, but still classified it as dangerous.

State Premier Anna Bligh described the weather system as the "most catastrophic storm ever seen" in the state.

She warned that it could cause a tidal surge as high as 9m (nearly 30ft) in some places, overwhelming low-lying coastal areas.

"It will take all of us and all of our strength to overcome this. The next 24 hours I think are going to be very, very tough ones for everybody," she told a news briefing.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard described the storm as a "cyclone of savagery and intensity".

The state disaster co-ordinator, Ian Stewart, warned residents they would be on their own during the coming hours as it was too dangerous to send out emergency workers.

Many fear that Yasi could be worse than Cyclone Tracy, which hit Darwin on Christmas Eve in 1974 and killed 71 people. That was a category four storm.

The cyclone follows the worst floods in Queensland's history, triggered by tropical storms which have battered the region since the end of November.

'Life-threatening'
Cyclone Yasi made landfall between Innisfail and Cardwell at around midnight local time (1400 GMT Wednesday).

The eye of the storm was reported to be 35km (22 miles) in width, with a front stretching across 650km (400 miles).


Mr Stewart told Australian television that deaths were "very likely" and there would be "significant destruction of buildings".

A resident of Ravenshoe, west of Innisfail, who gave her name only as Glenda, says she is on an isolated property

My biggest worry is not allowing the children to sense my fear”

Tania Moevao
Cairns resident
Your stories: 'Dark clouds descend'
"We couldn't get any tape for our windows so we tried to use wide sticky tape but it's peeling off... we are very scared. One side of our whole house is just glass," she told ABC News.

"We are actually camping under a desk that is bolted to concrete walls on two sides."

Those remaining in their homes were told to tape up windows, fill sandbags and prepare a "safe room" with mattresses, pillows, a radio, food and water supplies to wait out the cyclone.

They were also encouraged to fill bathtubs with water for drinking supplies.

'Bunkering down'

Cairns resident Philip Baker told the BBC it seemed "a safer bet" to stay in his home rather than flee or head to an overcrowded evacuation centre with his wife and young daughter.

Analysis

Holly Green
BBC Weather
There are lots of ingredients needed to develop a tropical storm including heat, moisture and falling surface pressure. All these factors have come together this time to create a powerful storm.

Yasi developed into a severe tropical cyclone as it tracked across the Coral Sea and large amounts of very warm, moist air were drawn into the system, giving it a great deal of energy.

There have been seven tropical cyclones in the vicinity of Australia, New Zealand and Fiji in the past three weeks. This is unusual and possibly linked with the strong La Nina weather pattern.

BBC Weather: Interactive map
"We're as prepared as we can be. There is little left to do but wait.

"The authorities have been wonderful, supplying us with updates and the latest information via text. We've been told that we might lose power and the phone lines in the next few hours.

"The windows have been taped and if the situation rapidly deteriorates we plan to bunker down in a windowless room when the storm hits - there's just enough room to fit a single blow-up mattress on the floor. We're reasonably high up, so hopefully should be okay."

More than 400,000 people live in the cyclone's path. The area, which includes the Great Barrier Reef, is also popular with tourists.

Cairns airport closed on Wednesday. Rail lines, mines and coal ports have also shut down.

Acknowledgements: Sydney Morning Herald; BBC News



Enhanced by Zemanta

Monday, November 22, 2010

West Coast, New Zealand somewhere north of Gre...Image via Wikipedia
Today at Pike River - 75 hours after the mine explosion and no rescue yet:(..
.


by peter petterson

It has now been 75 hours since the mine explosion at the Pike River coalmine near Greymouth on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island,trapped 29 miners below ground. There has been no contact or any news about the state of the mine or the health of the miners. A telephone in the mine has not been used. Two miners who were late coming into the mine were injured by the blast,but made there way out to safety and received medical help last Friday.

There have been a number of meetings between the various parties involved and with family members since Friday.Technical help has arrived from Queensland in Australia, and now from the NZ military a robot has been sent and tested this afternoon by Army personnel. This should be sent into the mine tomorrow. The levels of poisonous gases in the mine have been monitored regularly by helicopter. A road through the national park on the mountain is being cut to make access easier. A bore is being drilled through to the mine, and should be completed in a few hours. A camera will then be sent down to examine the interior of the mine.
Yesterday a full list of those down in the mine was released to the media and reported by various television and radio networks

While there have been very positive signs of hope that rescue teams would soon be down to search and rescue these miners: 24 kiwis, 2 Aussies, 2 Brits and 1 South African, the state of the mine has prevented it up until now. There has now been a rather subtle change in speech and body- language by the police commander, mine manager and the NZ prime minister, John Key and his Minister of Energy, Gerry Brownlee. They have mentioned a search and recovery scenario now.

The families of the trapped miners have become increasingly despondent and frustrated by the lack of action, but the police will not risk endangering rescue personnel until it is safe to enter the mine. Something that occurred in Australia a number of years ago; a number of rescuers were also killed along with some of the miners. The NZ scenario is chillingly similar to that of the West Virginia mine tragedy many years ago - all 29 miners were lost there after a similar mine explosion. There are also 28 miners trapped in a flooded mine in China at present.

As I mentioned above specialist rescue equipment has been flown in from Queensland, and will be off-loaded from Christchurch to Greymouth. A robot has been sent south by the NZ Army, and cameras will be sent down to view the mine once the bore being drilled on the mountain above the mine, has been completed in a few hours. The bore will also enable quicker monitoring of the poisonous gases down in the mine. Heat-seeking equipment can also be dropped down the bore in an attempt to confirm that there is life down there.
While the miners may be out of food, there are plenty of fresh water supplies throughout the mine. Any injured miners will obviously be in need of treatment by now
.
On the negative side of the ledger, there may well be a decision tomorow to search and recover bodies down in the mine. As I wrote above, the names of all of the miners have been made available to the media, and have been distributed by the various radio and television networks. And Pike River could turn out to be another West Virginia scenario

But being the usually positive character I am, all the miners could well be rescued tomorrow and emulate the situation over the mountains in Christchurch where there are still no fatalities from the massive 7.1 earthquake there a few months ago, apart from a number of heart attack fatalities which may be attributed to that disaster, and nearly three thousand after-shocks as well.

As the man said, cross your fingers and hope to die. But still no rescue yet. But tomorrows another day!

http://huttriver.blog.co.uk
Enhanced by Zemanta

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Image:Queensland Government Logo.svgImage via Wikipedia.

The Government or Mr Big...





Queensland Govt's $27m 'drug money' grab nears its end - them or Mr Big...





The Queensland government will know before the end of the year whether it has been successful in seizing up to $27 million in assets from a Gold Coast drug baron.



Charles Edward Cannon has been fighting the government in the Supreme Court in Brisbane, as authorities try to confiscate money they claim he made from drug trafficking.



The government alleges the former Finks bikie associate accumulated cash and property worth up to $27 million by selling methamphetamines between 1995 and 2003.



This makes it the highest sum of criminal proceeds ever sought in Queensland.



Cannon, 51, was convicted in 2005 of trafficking and possessing dangerous drugs and was jailed for nearly 13 years.



After his arrest, the state's crime watchdog froze Cannon's assets - including his Jaguar car and waterfront mansion - estimated to be worth about $4 million.



However the Crime and Misconduct Commission (CMC) is now alleging the fortune made from Cannon's drug empire is much higher.



Lawyers acting for the CMC, on behalf of the government, started a five-day proceeds assessment hearing in August.



However the application was adjourned mid-hearing so Cannon could change lawyers.



The matter has encountered further delays so Cannon's new legal team can be properly briefed.



During a review on Thursday, the court was told both sides will be ready to make their final submissions before Justice Peter Applegarth on December 3.



Justice Applegarth is then expected to hand down his decision before Christmas.



Acknowledgements: yahoo 7 News


Saturday, January 03, 2009


THE CANE TOAD INVASION OF NORTH EAST QUEENSLAND IN AUSTRALIA - A WAITING TIMEBOMB IT IS CLAIMED...




First published at Qassia:


There is a cane toad invasion of north east Queensland in Australia - a waiting timebomb it is claimed...

Just what is a cane toad? I thought they were confined to the Queensland sugar cane fields.They are actually an introduced scourge on the scale of wild rabbits. The Queensland players in the Australian State of Origin rugby league team are nicknamed the 'Cane Toads'.

Cane toads, which originated initially from central and South America, were first introduced to Australia in a batch of 101 from Hawaii in 1935, in what was a dismal failure to control the native cane beetles in local sugar fields.

Seven decades later and they have spread 1900 miles from NE Queensland to Darwin's tropical north.

As the toads' skin is toxic to natural predators, they have contributed to a dramatic decline in the population of native snakes, goanna, lizards and quolls(catsized marsupials), something that continues annually.

There are now 200 million of these introduced pests, something akin to the dire consequences of introduced wild rabbits which have also been an ecological disaster in recent decades too.

Scientists believe biological weapons and the consequences of rapid cane toad interbreeding will eventually control them. The interbreeding is already causing arthritis and bad backs which should slow down their march northwards and eastwards in a generation or two and stop the potential annihilation of native animals across Australia.

A Sydney University spokesman said the movement of cane toads across Australia makes them the fastest amphibians on earth, after their rapid evolution from slow moving homebodies to road warriors in the past seventy years.

The toad leaders of the pack become bigger and faster and produce offspring with bigger front legs and longer backs - and develop severe arthritis. Scientists have seen cane toads in Western Australia with spinal arthritis and big bony lumps on their backs.

And so the consequences of this catastrophic introduction of a foreign species ranking with wild rabbits continues.



Contributor's Note
The consequences of introducing foreign animals to Australia without scientific evaluation or research.

Read more